Friday, July 13, 2012

Introductions: Why Now?

As it just so happens, I was trolling around while at my internship today (not very important), when a stroke of genius smacks me right across the toes--and knuckles--in the form of a story. Quite literally, I might add, nursing a sore foot where I dropped a box.

Now (still not very important), I am working this summer at a local newspaper, doing general, boring work. And it is completely obvious that I want nothing to do with daily newspapers when I graduate from college, I still want to write. Just not daily--and not for a newspaper.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against newspapers, nor daily publications. But it is boring. Set. Unoriginal.

I can't play with form. I can't play with style. I can't even add flowery imagery because, let's face it, newspapers are boring. And that is okay because that's how it is supposed to be.

But this genius idea (getting more important), is to write about something I love about once weekly. I love very little more than I love video games (writing and sleep--that's it), and I can use the practice of keeping a deadline. Hence: a video game blog. Best of both worlds. I get to write and I get to play. Win-win.

I've always wanted to write a walkthrough, but with YouTube the way it is, everyone and their Uncle has a guide out there, and it's better because it is a video. Video for video games--it just kind of makes sense.

But (very important now), game reviews sounds like a fun time. And I have played a lot of games in my day. Who cares if I add some spoilers (which I totally will, coincidentally) because that is half the fun, isn't it?

I still don't know what I am going to do when I graduate--novel writer, teacher, librarian, ace detective, etc--but I don't really like to think that far into the future. Makes my head hurt.

So I won't. I'll take this one day at a time (though more likely, one week every once and a while), because deadlines are boring.

And I hate being bored.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy my witty, sometimes sarcastic voice and general moodiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment